Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Have we met before?

Yes, it's deja vu all over again chez 'knitting out loud' as I've cast on for Icarus and am tinking my little heart out. What is it with me and these patterns? This isn't even the complicated part!

In spite of that, I'm quite happy with the new project. I got the yarn -- a whole cone of laceweight cotton -- for a super-bargain price at an NYC lys by standing up to the guy at the register who felt he had the wisdom and the right to comment on my choice. "Cotton? For a shawl?? What do you wanna do all that work for and make it outta that?" Back off, buddy. "I think it will be nice," I retorted and though it looks rather meek here in print, believe me it shut him up. I know what I'm going for -- a very light and casual shawl to throw over any old thing I'm wearing of a summer evening -- or morning, or afternoon. I think Icarus is the perfect pattern to create this and so for it looks like I'm right. The only thing that could be better is the color -- a VERY pale blue. Not bad, but not smashing. Still, it'll work for what I want.

In other knitting news -- I've been stalled on the corset by a style question, but I think I've finally resolved the dilemma. No crocheted edging and I buy buttons as opposed to crocheting them in the matching silk. I'd better find those buttons and a good strapless bra soon if I hope to don this puppy before the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Or should I say even worse? The grey skies and cool air have given me a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I know it only gets worse from here on. I can't even enjoy fall anymore, I'm so filled with dread of the winter. Monsieur I -- hereafter known as monsieur Y (I just saw how his middle name is actually spelled) -- became a US citizen on Friday. On Saturday I asked him how he'd feel about leaving the country for good in favor of some nice, mediterranean climate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home